Friday, January 27, 2012

Five Songs Named After a Member of the Fairer Sex

Oh, hi...you're back. How nice of you to drop by.

I have some music for you. It's music that has, in one way or another, been inspired by a female. Or a male with a woman's name; unfortunate a situation as that would be.

If it's not already evident, I've adapted this idea from my good friend CC's post, Songs That I Like That Mention Cannonballs. Now I don't fancy myself a rip-off artist or any of that non-sense, but I'm running desperately low on original ideas at the moment. Also, CC is currently asleep on my couch, so I'll do whatever I damn well please, thank you very much (for a lovely game of fives)!

Anyways, I hope you enjoy these songs as much as I do. If not, don't worry; I don't even really like them that much.

Let's start off with a new twist on an old classic, shall we?

Layla - Eric Clapton & Wynton Marsalis

Supplies! Not the same Layla we hear nine times a day on Chez 106! If you can endure (or fast-forward through) Clapton's three minute ramble to start this thing off, and the subsequent nine minutes of jamming, I can almost guarantee you will be satisfied. Almost.

Can Clapton play jazz? Is Wynton feeling blue? Tune in to find out!



Cindy - Brock Zeman

This, ladz and ladies, is a ballad; and it's a pretty damn good one at that. I wonder if maybe the fella in this song didn't live so hard that perhaps this lass Cindy and he could be together. We'll probably never know. What we do know is that Brock Zeman happens to be from the Ottawa area. Maybe you'd like to go to one of his concerts sometime?



Jolene - Ray LaMontagne

I don't normally cry more than a handful of times a day, but this song...a real tear-jerker. Grab a box of tissues, a fifth of shitty rye, and fasten your seat belt. This is a non-stop flight to Depressionville. Yikes.



Jessica - The Allman Brothers Band

There is so much worth mentioning about this instrumental masterpiece that I'm gonna have to break it down using bullet points:
  • This song is markedly less depressing than the past two; likely on account of the fact that there are no lyrics to get all down about.
  • I once had an ex-wife who was named after this song. I thought that was pretty cool until things took a horrific turn and we stopped talking to each other. I'm over it. I swear.
  • This is rare footage of the post-Duane Allman version of the Brothers in which Dickey Betts is not drunk on stage. Cherish this moment.
  • I could have thrown this entire list together using only songs by the Allman Brothers. Some of you that might have perused my iTunes library are likely wondering how I managed to resist.
  • Hot damn this song is good! Have a taste...



Rosa Parks - OutKast

Do you enjoy anecdotes? Because I have one for you. Rosa Parks sued OutKast over alleged misrepresentation of her character in this song. And guess what? She lost. And then it was appealed! And then it was appealed again!! And again!!! And then there was an out-of-court settlement!!!! Huh.

In other news, if you look up "funk" in the dictionary, the page turns into a pair of big ass speakers and this song starts bumpin'. Yeah.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment